Wednesday, July 15

Black Pepper and Lime Baked Salmon with a Snap Pea Slaw

Yesterday, I made Black Pepper and Lime Baked Salmon with a Snap Pea Slaw. I needed to de-stress and decided to do it through cooking. I nabbed the recipes from What's Cooking Good Looking blog. I came across this blog from Saveur's Blog Awards list. I really liked Jodi's photography style. Plus after browsing, many of her recipes seemed simple yet tasty. This was the one that caught my eye. I liked how simple yet beautiful it was as a dish.
Also, I have good news, I got a new job! I'll be working as a HR Coordinator and focus employee relations, benefits and compensation. I've been working from home since we moved out here and I've disliked it. I think people tend to over-romanticize working from home. I get it, if you have a family it is nice to work from home. And I will admit some days it is nice. I can roll out of bed on a Monday morning and not worry about how I look or what I need to pack for my lunch.

But as a semi-new resident of this city- it has totally sucked. I'm not meeting a ton of people and felt more stressed than usual. One of things I've missed working in an office is the aspect of walking away from work. When you work from home, the work computer is sitting there taunting you that there is more work that could be done. While when you work at an office, you can leave your computer or phone there and get back to it later. With supporting recruiters, the work never ends and you can't get everything wrapped up in a day.

 I've realized I need to have some type of gap between work life and my own life. Also, there is an unsaid expectation that because you work from home - working an extra hour or two  is no big deal. It's hard-everyone else is logged off for the day and you're still working away to fix things.

Let's get started! First, I pre-heated the oven and chopped up some limes. Then I lined a baking sheet with parchment paper and placed the limes on top.
Itty bitty limes. 
Then I placed wild salmon on top of the limes. 
Then drizzled olive oil, salt, pepper and lime slices on top.
Next, I wrapped them up into little boats. While the salmon was baking in the oven, I made the coleslaw. It pretty much was chopped up cabbage, snap peas, green onions and basil. Then I made the sauce to go with the meal.

Ta-da! Finished product. The coleslaw added a nice crunch to the fish. I can see myself eating the coleslaw for lunch. The salmon was also really tasty. I think I should have cooked my piece a bit longer, the middle wasn't as done as I would have liked. But fish is tricky. So cooking with fish has been a learning process. Nonetheless, still yummy!
Jodi's Black Pepper, Lime Baked Salmon and Snap Pea Slaw recipe can be found here.
Stay tuned for more.
Emma 

No comments:

Post a Comment