Sunday, March 1

Cabbage Rolls

It's been a while since my last post. Wayne and I have been sick the past couple of days. I think we got the flu (correction, I believe Wayne got the flu and passed it onto me). I work from home so I don't leave the apartment and mingle with people as much as he does! Anyway, yesterday I pretty much slept all day and drank a TON of fluids. I feel much better today but Wayne is still a sick mess. Poor guy. At least he has me around to take care of him (somewhat.) I make sure he has enough water and Kleenex but I won't sit near him and listen to the hacking/coughing. 

It kind of sucked because we had to cancel our plans this weekend. Yesterday, we were planning on going to a Seattle bar and watch the DePaul Men's basketball game. The alumni department had a Seattle meet up event.  But yesterday, we were so sick we barely had the energy to move around the apartment. Then today we were going to get brunch with some friends. But again, Wayne is like a cesspool of germs with his coughing and runny nose...The last thing I want to do is get our friends sick. Anyways, I felt a little better and decided to cook something new today. 

I follow Stupid Easy Paleo on instagram and I always like her posts. This is first blog entry I've done with one of her recipes. Please check out her Paleo Cabbage Rolls recipe here. Her recipes are very straight forward and don't call for a lot of steps. I tend to avoid recipes that call for a million steps because I like cooking but I don't like waiting! I think next time I make cauliflower rice in advance and then use the leftovers for this dish. Let's get started!

Itty bitty cabbage packages!
 I've never made Polish dishes before so I was pretty excited to try this one out. I've been kind of in a rut with inspiration. Maybe it is because I've been sick...I have found myself grabbing things that are super easy and don't call on a lot of energy to cook. Like rice, eggs and no-nitrate hot dogs (rice is not paleo I know) but it's easy on my stomach! Or soup...we have been having soup quite a bit. Anyways, first, I took some green cabbage and boiled it. That way I could use the leaves for the wraps. 
Isn't this purple cabbage pretty? When I saw it at the grocery store, I felt inclined to use it instead of regular white cauliflower. I chopped off any bad spots and then put it in my blender to make the "rice." I also chopped up some white onion and cooked it with the cauliflower. 
Then I mixed up some ground beef, ground pork and the cauliflower mixture together. There were also some seasonings added too! Then, I rolled them up into little packages! It took a while to figure out how to roll them up, but after I got the hang of it, it was kind of fun! Stupid Easy Paleo has a video down below that shows you how to roll these if you struggled like I did. Next, I put some tomato sauce and diced tomatoes for the bottom and also on top of the rolls.
Then I baked them in the oven. Oh man...the apartment smelled really good!
Ta-da! Finished product! These were really good! I liked how simple it was and tasty it turned out. The rolls were meaty but not to heavy and the tomato sauce added enough juiciness! Yum! This was perfect for an early dinner/late lunch! I wrapped up the leftovers for later if we get hungry again.

Again, please check out Steph's, (Stupid Easy Paleo) website. Her recipe is here with all the measurements and instructions. It looks like she has a ton of great recipes on her website and I know her book, The Perfomance Paleo Cookbook, is on my list of cookbooks to get! P.S. I'm not asked to endorse this, I just want to give credit where it is due and share the fun recipes I try out!
Stay tuned for more.

Emma 

No comments:

Post a Comment