Wednesday, March 18

Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie & Baileys Irish Cream Cookies

This post is super delayed.
I've been kind of busy and after I got done cooking all of this food, I didn't feel like posting about it!
We did a Pi Day Dash on March 14th (3.14 get it?) My ankle felt wonky but I was able to finish the race! My time also wasn't that bad having a healing ankle and not running a whole lot!

Plus the best part was we got pie at the end! I think one of the irritating things out here in Seattle is that they mention "pie" but instead for pizza. When I think of "pie" I think of an actual pie! So, I was quite happy to get actual pie after the race. Not as good as Achatz Pies though. Michigan represent!
Here are some photos:
Wayne finishing on the left side.
Me looking like I'm dying on the left... lols!

 For St. Patrick's day I made an awesome Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie from Cook Like a Cavewoman and Baileys Irish Cream Cookies from Buttercream Blondie. I haven't really had a chance to dapple around their sites. But it looks like they might have some other awesome recipes I might want to try out! I pretty much did a Google search on Irish inspired paleo recipes. I don't know, I just didn't feel like doing corned beef and cabbage this year. I think I tend to lean towards making a Shepherd's pie because you literally just throw stuff together and cook it. I like that it is simple.

Anyways, let's get started.

Pretty much I chopped up a bunch of sweet potatoes and boiled them until they got soft. Then I mashed them up with some grass-fed butter and fresh rosemary!
Then I also chopped up some onion, celery, carrots....
...cauliflower, rosemary and garlic!
Next, I cooked up some grass-fed beef with the onion till soft, then added the rest of the veggies. I added some beef broth, tomato paste, coconut aminos, rosemary and some ground cinnamon. Then threw it in my handy dandy casserole dish. 
Then I took the Mashed Sweet Potatoes and smoothed them on top. 
Ta-da! Finished product number one! This was really delicious. I loved the sweet potato topping with the meaty filling. Wayne said this was on his list of favorite dishes!

After scarfing down dinner, I then got started on making the cookies. Wayne was excited to taste these. He even posted on Facebook about it! Way to add pressure dude. 
He is a cutie though :)
Okay, I like baking and sweets but I have a certain time limit. I like cooking and baking but if it takes longer than 2 hours, I get antsy. I lack patience and I felt these took too long for me. I really wanted to enjoy making them but it just hit a point where I just wanted them to be done already. I think for some that have more patience, it would be really fun to do. Might I also mention, I suck at rolling. I don't know why either. Maybe I lack technique, patience or pressure. But whenever I roll dough out, (be that pie dough, cookie dough or whatever) it never seems to turn out perfect. I have one side that is perfect then the rest of the sides are too thick or too thin. 
Ta-da! Finished product number two! I was exhausted. They look really cute though don't ya think?
When we ate them after baked, I wasn't a huge fan. The cookie turned out more like a shortbread cookie. But the Baileys filling was delicious. However, we found after a day in the fridge, these tasted much better. I think maybe because the butter used in the cookies needed to get cold again? Not sure. In short, they turned out pretty good. Would I make them again? Probably not. But they do look super adorable.

Cook Like a Cavewoman's Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie recipe can be found here
Buttercream Blondie's Baileys Irish Cream Cookies recipe can be found here

Emma 

No comments:

Post a Comment