Tuesday, January 20

Brown Butter Ginger Cookies

Today, I made Not Without Salt's Brown Butter Ginger cookies. I was craving something a little sweet and wanted to do something a bit more creative. OMG, these were really *effing good. It smelled like gingerbread in my apartment. 
To be honest, I was kind of in a rush to make these. I got off work and then got going on making these before heading out of the house. I had to double check twice to make sure I turned off the oven! That's how rushed I was!

But it was good. I got to meet up with a friend I haven't seen in a long time. It was good catching up with her and talking to her reminded me of the Midwest a bit. I think a part of me is a little worried I won't make friends out here in the PNW. I guess a part of me really misses my friends back home and I truly cherish those friendships. I'm worried the increased distance will make it harder for me to stay in touch with them. But I'm going to still try and make an effort to stay connected. 

I guess, I just need to stay positive (which can be hard since I am pretty pessimistic sometimes.) I know I'm doing some stuff and not just sitting on my butt all day. I'm working out regularly and am meeting some people in the apartment complex. I also signed up for a charity gala event in late February. Wayne and I will get to dress up and go support a charity. 

I'm hoping I'll be able to meet some more people and at least get some people to hang out with occasionally... I also just signed up to get notifications to get on a soccer team. I'm not sure how it'll work out but hopefully I'll hear back and be able to play in the spring.

Anyways, enough of my moping. I know I'll be fine. I think it just will take a while longer than it did when I was in Chicago. Let's get started!
I boiled some butter. Paula Deen would be proud...
Again, I was a little rushed, so I think I boiled the butter a bit longer than needed. But it was a nice nutty dark brown. Still smelled really good.
Then I added the sugar with the browned butter mixture. Let me just say, these stainless steel mixing bowls I got are AMAZING. They are the perfect weight and are easy to clean up. I think once you go stainless you can't go back! I do not miss my plastic mixing bowls at all!
Then added some other ingredients and flour and rolled them into balls. They see me rollin...they hatin...patrolling they tryin to catch me ridin dirtyyyyy. Okay, okay...no more rap lyrics.
I got a brand new cookie pan! I swear, it was hard making a decision after getting a gift cards from Sur La Table or Williams-Sonoma for the holidays. I practically want all the kitchen gadgets! 
While they were baking, I made some of the Honey Marscapone Cream to go with these. 
Why hello Mr. Honey Bear! I mixed the cream, honey and a vanilla bean together. Oh so heavenly. 
Fresh out of the oven!  I nearly burned my mouth but these puppies were worth it! 
I dolloped some marscapone cream on one of them. Yummy!

Seriously though, these were really really good. I was afraid I would eat them all so I gave them to a few people! I love gingerbread/gingery cookies. I remember my Grandpa would like eating gingersnaps and my mom would make gingerbread boys for Xmas. I think the flavor brings back a lot of fond memories. 

Not Without Salt's Brown Butter Ginger Cookie recipe found here.
Please check out Ashley Rodriguez's website if you ever get a chance. I adore looking at her recipes. I've got a few tucked away in my recipe binder to someday try out. Also, her new cookbook, Date Night In, is on my list of cook books to buy. But currently, a new dining room table, bike helmet, bike lock, work printer and work shredder take precedence over my love of cookbooks :( I'll some day complete my dream cookbook collection with some of my favorite bloggers/Instagram folks. 

Emma 

No comments:

Post a Comment