Monday, January 19

Parchment Poached Salmon Pouches

The good thing about today is I do not have to work. Since my company runs with the educational system, we get school holidays off. So, that being said, Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day. I thought that working from home would get better. It's not. It still is difficult waking up at 5:00am/5:30am to work. Tonight I made Simply Gourmet's Parchment Poached Salmon Pouches.



Anyways, I made some goals for 2015. I'm excited to accomplish them.
1. No Excuses - 
I have a gym in my apartment complex, I can work out 6 times a week. I have been doing pretty good on this one.
2. Make new friends - 
I don't know a lot of people out in Seattle. I want to get to know some people so I can hang out with them ever so often.
3. Stay Connected - 
I miss my friends and family back in Michigan and want to try and make an effort to stay in touch.
4. Explore Seattle - 
This is a brand new city and I want to explore it.
5. Leave town with no plan - 
because...why not? It would be fun to be adventurous for a day!
6. Hike to a sunset or sunrise viewpoint - 
I think it'd be beautiful to see the sunset or sunrise near the ocean.
7. Learn how to clean a fish - 
I want to up my cooking game. Since I'm in the pacific northwest, might as well learn how to clean a fish!
8. Cook a lobster - 
Again, something I have always wanted to try at least once. I think it might be hard to kill a live lobster but I'm willing to learn how to do it.
9. Make more time for ME - 
I think the past couple of years I have been lacking on this. I need to put myself as a priority. My health, my happiness comes first. Then those I care about.
10. Eliminate my undergraduate student loans - 
I AM SO CLOSE! CANNOT WAIT UNTIL THESE ARE DONE.
11. Get back into soccer
I haven't played in a long time and I think it'd be a good way to get to know people. Might check out some of the open leagues in the summer. We'll see though.

Yesterday, the Seawhawks game was crazy! I watched some of the game and we were sucking SO bad. Then it was a complete turn around! People ask me if I am a Seahawks fan. I like watching them play but I wouldn't say I'm a football fan. I guess, I'm a Seattle fan?  I'm fine joining the bandwagon in this instance. I can enjoy watching the games and getting fired up.

Growing up, I just had the Detroit Lions to watch. It was fun during Thanksgiving with my family, but I never got hardcore into it. I guess, I would say, I can see myself being more a Seattle Sounders fan. I know more about soccer than I do football. Either way, I am really excited though to watch the Super Bowl. I've never experienced a Superbowl playoff in the actual city and I think it could be a lot of fun here. 


I went and worked out this afternoon and it felt great. I made some cucumber mint detox water.

For dinner, I decided to make some salmon tonight. I've been craving fish and have been wanting to get back into cooking. I think it'll help alleviate the work stress if I cook again. Aside from being at home, cooking is another zen place for me. When I cook, I get in the zone. It's like everything is in slow motion but I'm moving at lightning speed in my Zen mode. 

Now, I can't remember how I stumbled across Simply Gourmet's recipe. But I found it again in my recipe binder and thought why the hell not. I want to make some fish and I want to try making something with Blood Oranges. I think it is because at all the grocery stores have blood oranges on display. I guess they're in season now? Did you know that Blood Oranges become a maroon red because they grow at nightly low temperatures? I did not know that and thought it was an interesting tid bit.

Anyways, let's get started!
First, I bought some nice Salmon filets. 
I washed some fresh spinach and piled it on a piece of parchment paper. Little spinach pile.
Then I sliced some onion that I left over. I know in the recipe she put red onion, but I was lazy and didn't want to slice up another onion.
Then I added the onions to the spinach pile.
Then I made carrot slices. Long swirly ones. 
I added the carrot slices.
I then sliced up the blood oranges. Aren't they pretty?
Then I put them on top of everything.
I forgot to add the zucchini, so I sliced it up and added that too.
Then I added some extra virgin olive oil on top the salmon pile.
Then I clumsily wrapped them in a pouch.
I love the citrus and the thyme on top of the salmon. It gives it a earthy and colorful look.
Ta-da! Finished product! Aren't these pouches so pretty? 
Then I bought some white cake from QFC to celebrate the Seahawks! Whoo Seahawks!

Simply Gourmet's Parchment Poached Salmon Pouches here

Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment